Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Well the oil plug on the 2009 CTS Cadillac is on the rear of

Customer Question

Well the oil plug on the 2009 CTS Cadillac is on the rear of the oil pan. The dip stick is on left side of motor.
I drain three quarts of black oil and pour in four quarts then I drain out one quarts, but the dipstick showed oil up to the top marking. So I really ended putting three quarts, The CTS takes six quarts"so how come the dipstick still read an over flow of oil?.All I did is put in a filter and and Three quarts. Like I said it takes 6 so I should put in at least two more. I never had this problem before.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

To clarify,

When you drained the oil, you only drained out 3 quarts and then plugged it back up without completely draining it?

How black was the oil? It could be possbile that you have a major engine sludge problem if it's been a while since you have changed it, or you have not been completely draining it in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the car to a technician he checked the dipstick and oil level is okay. Now the transnmissons gear is sliding a bit then it gets into gear, but it is getting better the more I drive it. Also I now have a little rattling from the rear end as I take off then it goes away but every time I stop and drive off again it rattles a bit. For three days I had the car jacked up from the front perhaps this is the result from having it jacked up. I never had this problem the car has always ran great. Now I think the rear end needs oil and the transmsission needs fluid. I should have left it alone. What is really puzzleing is when I take the oil plug out no oil pours out yet the dipstick level shows that the oil level is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oil change have always been done.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You're not unintentionally pulling this drain plug circled in red right?