sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Right turn signal works left doesn't, same on hazards right

Customer Question

Right turn signal works left doesn't, same on hazards right side works left doesn't. Makes a chattering sound when you first turn it on and then it makes the chattering sound in about 15 second intervals.....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I ve replace the turn signal switch, no change
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced turn signal switch on column and both relays in dash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: Inside indicator lights for right turn, nothing for left, inside indicator lights one time for hazards, then nothing even though the outside right is working
JA: Our top Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your questions.

What make and model Car is this? Also the year please..?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Land Rover Discovery 2, right turn signal works fine, left doesn't work at all. Same on hazards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2004 land Rover Discovery 2
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't received any answer yet.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcoe to JustAnswer!

If the flasher and switch have been replaced and fuses are good then you either have a wiring issue or multiple blown bulbs. Have the bulbs been checked or replaced?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the bulbs have been replaced. I m sure you are aware Land Rover has no flasher, per say, only flasher relays for each side.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I asked for specific information, detailed to vehicle specific. Haven't seen that so far.

There are two turn signal flashers in the box in the dash.

Have you used an incandescent test light to see whether it's power or ground you're missing at the bulbs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No sir, I ve just replaced the bulbs, turn signal switch and flashed relays.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can check that, but I m pretty sure it's power that is missing .... Which way to go after checking for either of those?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I m leaning towards a becm problem, but I d like to make sure. The repeated chattering of the left side flasher relay every 15 seconds(appx) has me baffled though.

Either way if the bulbs are good, the flasher and switch are good and the fuse isn't blown then the problem is wiring. You'll need to first determine whether it's power or ground that you're missing and test from there. It's possible that you could have a poor ground to the lights, voltage drop or an open circuit between the flasher and lights. A short to ground is also a possibility but should blow the fuse.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any way to determine a BeCM problem?

The body controller? A scan tool would need to be used to diagnose an issue with the BCM. A scan tool could be used to check switch input, check for fault codes for the output circuit and perform actuator tests.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks

You're welcome!