rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 94 Isuzu trooper cranks but won't start. I can smell the

Customer Question

my 94 Isuzu trooper cranks but won't start. I can smell the fuel getting to the engine and I can hear clicks (possibly spark plugs clicking) I have replaced the coil packs and still it will not start.
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the coil packs yesterday. Replaced the belts in the fall.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Isuzu?
Customer: Battery was replaced in the winter. There is plenty of power from the battery. We initially tried jumping it, but that was not the issue.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

You need to test the fuel pressure with a gauge and check compression too for possible valve timing issues.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try that. Do you happen to have a diagram of the fuel line? I have never tapped into this one.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

The schrader valve is at the back side of the fuel rail, you can't miss it.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I ended up having to take it in. It was a broken wire on the ignition control module. I was not able to reach it.