Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I own a 1982 spider pin farina. It was running fine until it

Customer Question

I own a 1982 spider pin farina. It was running fine until it just stalled and would not restart. After about an hours time it restarted. The next day it would not start so I was advised to change the coil. It ran for about a week and now the same thing occurs. It won't start.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd 1st check the condition of the engine ground wire, it should be corrosion free and tight

also check that the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

also check that the fuel is getting through to the carbs and if OK then remove the distributor cap and check it for cracks and damage, do the same for the rotor arm and replace if required. also check the state of the wires that run off the speed pickup / toothed wheel inside the distributor as they can fret on the inside

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is fuel injection
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for the update I wasn't sure as they changed over around this time

still worht checking the distributor over though as I've suggested and also check for ack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the distributor/wires/plugs/coil and fuel pump already. There seems to be another issue here. I appreciate your efforts.At this point I guess I would need to confirm coil is ok? What is the best method of checking the coil and for spark at each cylinder?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

you would check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil using a meter. If there’s 12V here but no spark then I'd replace the ignition module , part no. 8 on this link

http://www.spiderroadster.com/124ign3.htm

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you