Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Okay, here goes the book. I own a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SE

Customer Question

okay, here goes the book. I own a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SE with the 3.8 liter engine. Main problem is stalling out at speed after it gets hot. There is no acceleration, sometimes actually dies out. I have replaced fuel line and inline filter. All of the rubber vacuum line attachments. MAF sensor (TWICE). tried different types of fuel additive, (my favorite is LUCAS). Noticed that when the car has full tank or above three quarters, car runs fine. The car has just over 200,000 miles and never was a daily driver. Although I can not find signs that the fuel pump is faulty, I do wonder about the in tank sending unit. Except that it only happens when engine is hot. It really feels like a electrical or vacuum problem. Had a couple of broke wires on the MAF sensor connection and repaired them. Only that did not resolve the problem. Another thing I noticed is that you can not get into passing gear. The car will bog down if I try. Nor can you punch it. It will bog down but not die in both situations. I can not find anyone of the big parts houses with a scan tool that fits this car. Too old. I don't want to get rid of it, one I can not afford to, two, it was given to my by my dad and step grandmother. I know I am missing something probably simple, but I can not figure out what. Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Lets start with something simple. Have you checked the fuel pressure? If so, what is it at? Also, does the fuel pressure leak down when the engine is off?