Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I just purchased a 2008 smart car autaric transmission, it

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2008 smart car autaric transmission, it came with a blue ox baseplate already installed.i got this car to tow behind my RV - my question is, is it safe to tow with an automatic transmission- if so is their any precaution I should be aware of like stopping to start the car and run the engine for the fluids to go through the engine? I've heard all kinds of stories that why I am turning to you to set it straight, I have another question which is only happen to me once ( just had the car for four days now ) I drove to the store and when I put it I R reverse I had none nor did I I have drive I put it back in park then reverse again I had the gears is this common with the smart car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Yes you can safely flat tow a Smart car. See the steps in the link below. RVers all over America are doing it on a daily basis.

http://www.smartfortow.com/smart-flat-tow/