Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

I went to the car wash and the front dash vents on my 06

Customer Question

Hi mike I went to the car wash and the front dash vents on my 06 Range Rover are no longer blowing out air. The rear vents are blowing full force. I also hit the defrost buttons and got a small bit of air today but it went off after about 5 sec. I don't understand. This has happen before and while driving sometimes the air would suddenly start blowing out or after about 5 minutes of playing with the controls while driving.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Was the one of those carwashes with a wand and if so, did you pop the hood and clean under the hood with the power wash wand?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it wasn't.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, does the front blow out the bottom ok?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Does this have the 4.2 or 4.4 engine and is this a sport or not?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No air from the bottom and it's a 4.4 but air does come out the rear vents in the car. So the backseat passengers are getting air. The 4 blowers on dash aren't blowing anything
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

This has both a rear blower motor and a front blower motor. I don't see them related only in that they both share a couple of fuses, namely the fuses 34 and 12 in the cjb, so it must be something only for the front blower motor and that is powered from a front blower motor control unit and before that a maxi fuse #64, a 50 amp fuse hot all the time in the central junction box, so let's test both sides of that fuse first for voltage with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light.

Then if the fuse tests ok, will can move into testing the front blower motor for voltage and retrieving any codes from that front blower control module, automatic temperature control module, the bcm or whatever modules may store codes for that system.

Just in case, here is the wiring diagram,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so can I go to an auto zone to check the fuses?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Call them up and ask them, if not purchase a $4 12 volt test light or multi-meter and I'll show you how.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Roger that.