Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

How can you drive a car if the timing chain is going and is

Customer Question

how long can you drive a car if the timing chain is going and is it worth replacing I have a 2007 Saturn aura automatic trans
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

May I have the engine size?

And how many miles on the vehicle, roughly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
engine size is 3.6 and 190k the car has been sitting for awhile
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the check engine light isn't on just a light with a explanation point in parathee's
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

If the timing chain is worn or loose, and is on it's way out... unfortunately, there isn't very much time left. Eventually, more sooner than later, the timing chain will "jump" and this will cause the engine to be "out of time" which will result in engine performance issues like skipping or misfiring of the engine. The looser or worn the chain, the more prone it is to jump time. And the more off the timing is, the worse running the engine... until finally there is a no-start condition. Unfortunately, this is actually a "known problem" on the 3.6L engines.

As for "is it worth replacing" - This is a huge job. The Labor Time Guide calls for 7.3 hours to complete the job. And the parts needed will be a little over $100. With the average Labor Rate ranging from $85-$125 per hour... this could get costly. Seeing as it has 190k miles on it... in my honest opinion... it's probably not worth putting the money into it.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hi. I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see if you had any other questions on this issue?