Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech
Experience:  Transmission Tech - Management Master Winner 3rd place Entire US Southeast region #1 after masters
17290852

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado. Truck runs fines. After

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado. Truck runs fines. After sitting for a short period of time (30 minutes - maybe a couple hours) the truck fails to start. It takes maybe 3 tries to get it fired up after that. After sitting all day starts up fine. Right after I shut it off it cranks right back up. I thought it was fuel related, but changed fuel pump, regulator 02 senors and even knock sensor. After replacing fuel pump it seemed like it was back to normal for maybe a week or so than now it's back to how it was. Any help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 9 months ago.

Hello , sounds just like the cam sensor going bad ...Thanks Joey

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How hard to replace

not hard at all comes with instructions, however to be sure your rotor button is at the correct position ,pull the #1 spark plug out & just put your finger in the plug hole & have someone just bump the key until you feel the compression start then turn engine to o top dead center

rotor should be at #1 plug wire

sorry the rotor timing deal was for another customer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can u repeat that

Ok, first part of the answer was for you about it needs cam sensor.......the rest was mistake by me for another chev question for another customer, again sorry my bad Thanks Joey

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This right?

Hi, forgot to ask engine size....if its a 4.3...4.8...or5.3......that's not it 1500.2500ect which model & engine size

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey sorry. It's a 5.3 V8
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a 1500

ok, its easy to change it.......go to www.auto zone.com enter your truck & ask for cam sensor ...it shows a very good photo of it...just 1 bolt holds it on....however you will need to clear the computer after you replace it.....even has directions......please rate my answer as this is how I get paid Thanks come back anytime

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This correct? Thanks

yes that's

the cam sensor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would that be the reason the bank 1 sensor 1 code pulls up?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would that throw the 02 sensor code on? There wasn't no exact code for cam sensor Idk of its supposed to. Thanks

hi , sorry I'm late....was art hospital as they ran nerve test on my neck I broke it in race car 10 years ago...anyway I dought it unless the timing got very low & it flooded because not burning all the raw fuel

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should I do now?

ok you did change the cam sensor & clear the codes right ?

also is it bank1 r bank2

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bank 1 sensor 1. But all are brand new. And I haven't changed the cam sensor yet. I was waitin on to see if it brought up a code or not

oh I thought maybe the bank 1 0r 2 cam on again after you changed the cam sensor & reset the timing

you have cleaned the under side of the butterflies under the throttle body right

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
u think I should go ahead and replace the cam sensor? Than reset everything?

yes

then go out & run it hard with bet octane gas & 2 bottles of throttle body cleaner in gas tank

ok