Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

How do I turn off the check engine light? 2002 Chrysler Town

Customer Question

How do I turn off the check engine light?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 2002 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 V6
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Diagnostic test indicates a major exhaust leak.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have repaired a hole in the muffler, which I hope fixed the problem.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know?
Customer: Code P04SS, Evap Gross Leak
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

The P0455 isn't pointing to an "exhaust" leak, it's pointing to a leak in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. This system needs to be able to hold a complete vacuum for self-diagnostic tests. When it cannot, the P0455 is set and states there is a "Large Leak" in the system somewhere. First and foremost- Check the Fuel Cap and make sure it is tight and sealing the system. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. If you are sure the cap is good, then the next course of action is to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks will reveal themselves with a stream of smoke.

In the meantime, if you'd like to clear the Engine Light anyway- you can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes. Keep in mind, if the P0455 was not addressed or was not repaired correctly, the light WILL return within 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and I wanted to check in and see how you made out. Did you have any other questions on this issue?