Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2007 Suzuki XL 7,118800 kms, trouble codes keep

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Suzuki XL 7,118800 kms, trouble codes keep coming on.
i have cleared the codes and drove the vehicle for at least 2 hours, no codes.
turn the engine off and when it restarts after a few seconds the check engine light is on again.
codes range from p0449, p0008, p0017, p0453 and others but i just don't remember them now.
often its just one code and sometimes it several codes at once.
right now it is code p0453
my mechanic things it may be a ground issue, the vehicle runs and drive like new and gas milage is great.
any ideas?
thanks
Geoff
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the 453 code is for the fuel tank pressure sensor circuit. it could be a connection issue or a sensor issue. it will not effect the running of the car, it is an evap system issue.

one suggestion, do not clear codes as it does nothing. there is a fault in the other systems and everytime you clear codes you erase vital information in freeze frame data that is stored that your tech can view to see what readings were at the time the code was set. otherwise it lengthens the process of finding the failure

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

code dscription

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is something not working right in the diagnostic system on this vehicle. the vehicle will set another code on the second restart of the engine every time. it may or may not be the same code.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where would the ECM ground be located on this vehicle?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

the diagnostic system sounds like it is ok. it sets faults when it see sensors out of parameters. thats why you need to not clear the codes. the pcm takes a snap shot of the fault and saves the sensors readings of the system involved. erasing the codes erases that info. some codes set after 2 or 3 trip times, depending on the code. the code you have now, the 453 is a 3 trip re set. after the pcm sees the same sensor result that is wrong 3 times, it sets the code.

anyway. the grounds are at the battery.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have had all the previous codes dealt with before clearing them. There are 3 grounds on the battery, one to engine, one to the body and a small one to the wiring harness. is it possible that this vehicle has all these faults? the only time the check engine light is off is when I drive it from the garage to my home, next time we use it the light is back on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i bought the car used, looks to me that the dealer was looking for some problem in the wiring
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

all these faults???? were repairs made on the other codes????

the 453 is a feul tank pressure sensor issue as I stated.

yes, it is possible for any car to have codes and issues. thats the job of the pcm to monitor all these systems

what makes you think they were looking for a wiring issue???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have only had the car a month and these problems have been on going for 3 weeks.
codes where repaired, but the 453 I have not done anything with it yet.
the wiring harness are not rutted right and secured to the frame
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could it be the ECM?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

no, I would not think the pcm is the issue. it is just telling you the failures.

the wiring harness needs to be secured as you know. the connection needs to be checked at the sensor. do you have a full blown scan tool to monitor the voltage at the sensor???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not sure
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

not sure??? about what???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we have a good scan tool but not the best one
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

will it read the voltage of the fuel tank pressure?? it may be marked FTP

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i will check
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just to let you know that I cleared the p0453 code yesterday without doing anything to fix the problem and the light came back on this morning.
checked the code this evening and there are 2 codes, p0008 and p0017 on the vehicle now. I know what the codes are for and there is nothing wrong with timing chain.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

if those codes are set there is a problem. it does not mean timing chain. that is way down the list of possibilities.

what was done before when you said these codes were fixed???

the 453 will be back after it fails its internal checks again

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did a double engine flush and replaced oil to 100% synthetic oil and filter with an additive to to clean out the hyd chain tensioners.
what would you think that codes p0008 and p0017 would mean?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

ok, the 8,17 are related to the primary timing chain. the crank/cam correlation is not correct and has nothing to do with the tensioners or phasers. I will post the info for you to review.

Roy

Diagnostic Aids

• Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed secondary timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
  • A single failed camshaft actuator or actuator solenoid will not cause this DTC to set. This diagnostic algorithm is designed to detect an alignment condition between a primary intermediate sprocket and the secondary timing chain, or the alignment between a primary intermediate sprocket and the crankshaft. Either condition would cause the camshaft timing for both cams on one bank to be off an equal number of degrees.
  • The presence of DTCs P0008 and P0009 along with P0016, P0017, P0018, and P0019 indicates a possible condition with the primary timing chain and the alignment between both intermediate sprockets and the crankshaft. Or, the crankshaft reluctor wheel has moved and is no longer referenced to top dead center (TDC).
  • Observing the desired and actual camshaft angle parameters, with a scan tool before a DTC sets, may help to isolate whether a condition is specific to one camshaft, one bank, or caused by a condition with the primary crankshaft timing.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

Roy