Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper that had intermittent issues

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper that had intermittent issues with the driver side rear oxygen sensor giving P0154 errors. A monitor showed that, at times, the computer was registering a constant 0.44V for that sensor, and at times the signal would vary as expected (and the system would enter closed loop operation). I could not find any obvious problems in the connectors at the sensor or at the computer, or in the parts of the wiring that I could see/access. Eventually I ran a new cable from the computer to the sensor, and the problem was resolved. Now I'm getting a similar issue, P0157, indicating that the driver side front sensor is inactive, again at 0.44V.
I could run a new wire to that sensor as well, but I'm guessing that wherever the wiring harness is damaged this won't be the last break if I can't find the damage and add some protection. Does anyone know how the oxygen sensor wiring harness is routed on these SUVs? And is there a common location where these harnesses get damaged?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I dont see how this is routed but I do believe you are on the right track for this issue here.I would check any bends or pass throughs into the body or firewall with the wiring to see if any damage is found.Once you locate the damaged wiring the affected wiring will need to be repaired to correct this here.Usually it is at kinks or bends in the wiring harness that this damage occurs needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete