Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

My son's school car 97 Lumina just rang up Volt light? We

Customer Question

Dave, my son's school car 97 Lumina just rang up Volt light? We put a new battery in 2 years ago as a PM. He's away at school Milwaukee. I'm in N. Mich???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Its a 97 Chvey Lumina. 175K miles. Body showing age but engine, new starter, etc. Runs good. He just called last night as we talk weekly. Think the lite is telling us Alt is not putting out 14+ volts needed after starting? Don't recall if belt has been changed?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

the volt light is on in the dash with the car at idle and driving ?

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

99 % of the time when the volt light is lit up in the dash the alternator has failed as that is the only thing that will turn on that light

with this type of alternator being a self charging alternator and no other inputs control that light or the charging of the alternator replacing the alternator will correct this issue you are having

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer