Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Just had heads redone tensioner timing belt changed at shop

Customer Question

just had heads redone tensioner timing belt changed at shop I wek later loud clicking sound when it starts up they said the replaced lifter and all that. returned to shop with it now are saying I just need to replace motar car is running just clicking sound charge was around 2300 I don't know what to think
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when I t put in shop it would not run they had worked on it 3 weeks befor fixed oilk seal leaks had tensioner bbbbbbbbbbbbtiming belt replaced all new belts anything that looked bad when they checked this time said tensioner went bad caused heads all that to be damaged said auto zone agreed to have all that fixed because ther part failed it aes at the shop about 5 weeks during holidays picked it up jan. 28 my cost was 350.00 for fluids new plugs wires 5 days later it was making this noise it is at shop now but the say I just need to replace motor does not make sense to me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, maybe I can help. What kind of car are we talking about? Also, was it in good running condition when you first brought it in for the timing belt replacement?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2003 Montero sport
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. It sounds to me like the mechanic who did the job did not time the engine right when putting it back together. This most likely caused internal damage to the engine which is why there is a noise now. When it comes down to it if it was running before with no noise and now it has a noise it's because they probably did something wrong. Tensioners don't just go bad like that usually. At least I've never seen it happen.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.