Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2002 Chrysler town & country 3.8. check engine

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chrysler town & country 3.8. check engine light on. code reads P0455 EVAP emission control system leak . I have found out this year dose not have an EGR valve. I need to pass an emissions test. now what do I do to fix this?. I did change the gas cap did not help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

The problem with this code is it's kind of a catch all. The computer knows there is a leak but it doesn't know specifically where. This means a lot of items have to be tested to make sure they are working properly. Normally the best method is to have a smoke test done. Smoke is pumped into the evap system to locate the leak. Once you locate the leak or it's diagnosed properly, you could then do the repair yourself to save money. This is how most shops diagnose the leaks on these. In the end it would save you money VS throwing parts at the van until you happen to replace the right part.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you. I stared looking to see if I could do a smoke test myself instead of wasting a day at a shop. In doing this I found 2 cracked hoses I replaced them and reset the light now we need to see if that fix it or is there more.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Very good, if you located obvious leaks, then it's possible you resolved it without the smoke test.

It will take some time for the code to come back because the system takes time to retest itself.