Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have bought a 97 mazda 626 and runs wonderful - however a

Customer Question

Hi I have bought a 97 mazda 626 and runs wonderful - however a cold start on the car causes a lot of white smoke (sorry not really sure the smell) it tends to go away after about 3 to 4 minutes. All fluid levels are okay (they are't overful) have had the car running with radiator cap off and coolant levels stays constant (no bubbles) have even done a home compression test on all 4 spark plugs and all come up perfect.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a a car. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Sort of hoping with my dads assiatance to fix it myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: The previous owner has put an after market exhust and high performance Air filter on - not sure what difference these would make, ever had a car with these
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Is the smoke from the exhaust?

Does this smoke occur regardless of the outside temp?

Are you sure its white and not blueish which would be a sign of leaking valve stem seals.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the smoke comes from the exhaustOccurs when the car is cold - so first thing in the morning and after work (car has been sitting for 8hours), but not so much if the car is still warm.Can't say if it's has a bluey tinge or not - looks white to me

White smoke would be a sign of fuel not even trying to burnt or condensation, or coolant. If it were fuel from a leaking injector, I would expect it to run rough on startup and your engine oil to be diluted with fuel. Condensation smoke is normal under 50 degrees F outside. Coolant smoke would be a head or gasket failure and you should be losing coolant while running and have coolant in the oil.