Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Have there been any answers foud replace alternator problem?

Customer Question

Have there been any answers foud for the replace alternator problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** year, model, make, and engine size of vehicle do you have? Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Dan! It is 1997 dodge grand caravan The engine is 3,08
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have checked the fuses and seem to be good. It was passed on to me the computer has to be recalculated, I am not sure if that is the solve of the problem!
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Has the alternator been replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like your computer may need to be replaced. At alternator verify large black/gray wire has voltage with key off. Verify small dark green/orange wire has power with engine running. The dark green wire should have ground with engine running. If missing ground verify dark green wire is good between alternator and pin 4 of connector 1 at PCM. If everything is good up to this point but no ground on green wire replace the PCM. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/njbzzpxtkzacf1v/dtwd.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Dan.On the problem of things not working on my 1997 dodge grand caravan I did the advised testing by the alternater and all tests are good. Next can you tell me about replacing the computer, about how much would that run?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What would make it act that way? Did they not disconnect te battery cable causing a sort?
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

If above tests were done correctly then computer is what controls alternator output. This will be around a $400 job. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.