Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1996 chev 1500 4.3L truck quite on road fuel pump not

Customer Question

1996 chev 1500 4.3L truck quite on road fuel pump not working checked relay no power at pin 85 tried by passing relay by jumping pin 87 to 30 still no pump... at a loss
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

the relay only powers up for the first two seconds when the key is first turned on,,

does the relay click when you first turn on the ignition?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im not getting the 2 second turn on nothing at all
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will start if i add fuel to intake
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the relay,,does the relay click when you first turn on the key?please make sure

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The relay requires 2 power feeds to trigger i have power on pin 87 all the time and no power to pin 85 some im not getting a signel from the pcm what would that cause be kind of past the bad relay blown fuse kind of stuff

ok..

check all fuses..but,if the fuses are good,the problem would be the pcm,i would think.

the relay is energized by the pcm

disconnect the wire harness from the pcm[computer]and clean the ternals on in the plugs and pcm with electronics parts cleaner

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pss932g5hav6k3/0124-96-s10-Fuel%20Supply%20System.doc?dl=0&preview=0124-96-s10-Fuel+Supply+System.doc

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/4pss932g5hav6k3/0124-96-s10-Fuel%20Supply%20System.doc?dl=0&preview=0124-96-s10-Fuel+Supply+System.doc

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help