sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 03 Range Rover I get code tank sensor fault bought

Customer Question

I have a 03 Range Rover I get code for air tank sensor fault bought a new one got same code any ideas
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I Don t want a call just some help
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hi im kevin what is the fault code you have ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a code reader for range and jag it Don t give me a code it just says resivor tank sensor fault. I replaced the sensor with a factory sensor I get the same code. When I unplug the sensor old or the new one I get a second code says no power to sensor then when I plug in either sensor then clear codes the power sensor code clears but the code resevor tank sensor still comes on. I have a different code reader let me see if it will give me a number code
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I put another code reader on it and get zero codes. Then I put my Range Rover code reader and I get auxcilliry resivor tank sensor. I know I am looking at the right sensor when I unplug the sensor I get another code no power to tank sensor any thoughts
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Perhaps I can help.

I've seen that error code come up whenever there is a leak in the system and the compressor can no longer maintain adequate reservoir pressure. However, I've also seen faulty control modules cause false error code messages.

My advice is to first look for a leak. If any found, find and repair the leak, then replace the compressor. If there are no leaks and the compressor is putting out the correct pressure, replace the control module.

Being a Rover owner you probably already know this, but Arnott Industries sells replacemant parts for these suspension systems at a much lower price than Land Rover.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There air no leaks. Wat would be the next thing to check. I am not just going to start buying parts unless u can tell me how to test them to see if there bad first. Are you a part salesman or a tec

I'm a retired Master Technician with no affiliation whatsoever to any parts supplier. I'm sorry you mistook my attempt at helping you for a sales pitch. I'll opt out and let others chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will revert the question back to me.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would think u would start asking me do u have power at this plug. Is this working or not have u checked relays fuses. But no you say buy this part if that Don t work buy this part and if that Don t work buy this part. Then u mention a parts supplier. Wat am I suppose to think then when I call u on it. Then u can t help lol
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It would be helpful to have an actual scan tool to monitor the pressure sensor's signal. The code description you posted is quite vague and could indicate a performance issue (such as a loss of actual pressure) or it could be a circuit issue (the sensor, module or wiring).

If you don't believe there are any leaks, the compressor works correctly and the system stays up then it's more likely to be an electrical issue. If there is an electrical issue with the sensor it will be the sensor itself, connections, a wiring issue or the module.

If the sensor has been replaced with a known good part and there are no connection issues then the next step would be to test the sensor ground, reference voltage and pullup on the signal wire at the sensor. If any input is missing then the wire would need to be checked between the sensor and module. If wiring can be ruled out also then a circuit type fault code would have to be the module, but I question whether this is a circuit or performance type code. Having the actual code number and the ability to monitor data will really be necessary for an accurate diagnosis.