Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I'm having problems with my wife 99 Plymouth Grand Vogayer

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

If what you mean to say is that the vehicle starts only when there is a scan tool plugged in the DLC. Then the answer is a bad ground. You see, terminals 4 and 5 on the DLC are supposed to be ground (see graphic) and are bridging through the scan tool. To confirm, on top of the existing negative cable, run a couple of big wires from battery negative post; one to the motor, one to the body. If the engine still won't start, run an additional jumper directly first from terminal 4, and if the engine still won't start from terminal 5, to battery negative.

All the other stuff, such as the alarm acting up, etc. might get strightened up if also caused by bad ground.

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The advice was right on point. It was a ground wire under the battery compartment that was rusted and corroded. I took it lose and clean it up and put it back on and the vehicle started right up. Thanks for your help

Happy to hear you got the wife's Voyager up and running again!

Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply.

Best Regards.