Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Have98 chev pick up 5.0, 4X4, half ton. Have replaced #8

Customer Question

Have98 chev pick up 5.0, 4X4 , half ton. Have replaced #8 spark plug wire 4 times this year. What could do this
Category: Car
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Is it failing due to sitting on exhaust manifold? Are the wires in the factory wire looms?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I asked this question here about 8 months ago and the mechanic said it was the wire or the plug. I've had mechanics keep changing the plug and the wire over the past 6 months and they keep going bad. The mechanics put there test equipment on the engine and it shows the plug or the wire. They change the plug and the wire and give it back to me. 4 different mechanics. Runs good for about 3-4 wks. Then the wire goes bad again
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sitting on exhaust manifold. One of the first things to check
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mechanics have done compression tests, ran scopes up in the cylinders, pressure tested fuel line. Nothing out of line

What is the condition of the plug when it is replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plug is not fouled. Looks fairly clean. Put it back in. Changed the wire and that made the difference.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The wire seems to be the major problem.. what could cause the wires to go bad

It has to be getting hot. Have them put a heat shield on it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wire is not near the manifold. Thought of that. It is clamped off

what do you mean clamped off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a little plastic clamp that keeps the wire away from the manifold

I am out of ideas. I will opt out and see if someone else can help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand. I have 4 mechanics that have looked at it and don't have clue. I had one that thought the next step might be to change the distributor cap and roter. I am wondering if the #8 wire could be getting too much voltage
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

do you have 2 questions opened for this issue with your truck ?

how old is the cap and rotor ?