K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a 95 Isuzu pickup 2.3l std shift with 143000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 95 Isuzu pickup 2.3l std shift with 143000 miles never had a problem until now sometimes it wont idle sometimes it acts like its governed going down the road(55mph in 5th gear) and then it might just take off. New tps which was what I was told put it in ran great for about half hour now right back where we started from. I'm lost and cant connect it to a computer...help
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
wondered about fuel pump after I changed tps ran good for 1 and half hr although it still seemed governed pulled into my driveway (which is uphill) and it died. Turned it around and was able to back it up driveway. Like the truck but has me confused
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question!

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor, so I’m pretty sure we can solve your issue together. However, before we start I need you to please consider the following facts:

- I do not know your skill level or what tools you have

- It may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

- There will probably be some tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

First step should be to see if there are any trouble codes.

To retrieve codes, install jumper wire between ALDL diagnostic leads. See Fig. 1 attached. Turn ignition on. Count number of flashes from MIL to identify code. See Fig. 2 attached. For example, Code 12 will be flashed as follows: flash, pause, flash, flash.
If system is operating properly, Code 12 should be displayed with ignition on and engine off, indicating diagnostic system is capable of storing codes.
Code 12 will flash 3 times, followed by any stored trouble codes. Each code will be flashed 3 times starting with lowest code. Once all codes are displayed, cycle will repeat. After codes are retrieved, remove jumper wire from diagnostic leads to exit diagnostic mode.

After retrieving codes, second step should be to check fuel pressure (should be 35-40 psi).

Once we have that information, we can proceed with our diagnosis.

Best Regards.

Here are Fig. 1 and 2 from previous response.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hooked up diagnostic lead and 12 flashed followed by these 2 codes 3 and 4

Sorry, there are no codes 3 or 4 - smallest code number is ***** Could you re-check and look at the graphic titled "Reading Codes" I sent previously? Perhaps it's code 34?

By the way, that was just the first step. Codes alone won't help us diagnose the issue. Once we get the right code number there are tests that will require you to use a multimeter. Also there's the question of fuel pressure. Do you have access to a multimeter and fuel pressure tester?

Please realize this is a team effort; I supply the knowledge and experience, you the tools and skills to use them.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok my mistake it shows a 12 and a 34 for codes. I do own a multimeter and have access to a fuel pressure gauge from work

I'm sorry but it seems I'm not communicating how important it is that you provide me with the information I request. As I said before, I need to know both codes and fuel pressure before I can formulate a diagnosis. If you can't provide that information, then I won't know if the code is being caused by insufficient fuel pressure. In other words, we'll be both wasting our time.

Best Regards.

At this point I'll opt out of the question. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the system will cycle the question back to me.

Best Regards.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, did you get a fuel pressure reading?