Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I just changed my oil on a 2003 pt crus. when replaceing oil

Customer Question

i just changed my oil on a 2003 pt crus. when replaceing oil a bout a quart leakeked in on head and went down spark plug holes when i noticed it i cleaned all aoil out now smoke is blowing out air in take what can i due to resolve this
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

To clarify, where does it look like the smoke is coming from?

Oil went down the spark plug tube, the spark plugs were still installed right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
coming out trhrough air cleaner
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
filter
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Ok. The air is most likely coming from the breather tube that runs from the valve cover to the air intake duct.

This has little to do with the oil that was spilled. It's normal for some smoke to come from the valve cover while the engine is running. The breather system is designed to recirculate excess crank case fumes and burn them through the intake manifold. It helps gas mileage an reduces emissions.

If you have a lot of smoke and vapors coming through the breather tube, or if you can pull the oil cap with the engine running and smoke blows out of the oil cap fairly steadily, then you most likely have excessive blow by. Blow by is caused when the engine's compression rings wear out and allow combustion gasses to blow by the rings and into the crank case, which then makes it's way up to the valve cover and out anywhere that it can. In this case, the breather tube.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
didnt have that problem till changed oil
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Did you use a different oil type or viscosity from usual? Synthetic vs conventional? 5w20 vs 10w30?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
10 w 30
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Conventional?

It's possible that the engine is starting to wear and allowing more blow by than before. Old oil is thicker than new oil and will actually increase compression causing less blow by. It is very common to have the blow by increase after an oil change.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what if i put thicker oil back in it
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It might reduce the blow by. You could also try a friction modifier rather than change the oil again. They are designed to change the oil viscosity without changing the oil. You simply add it to the oil and it thickens up the oil and helps reduce oil consumption and blow by.

I personally like Lucas, but some mechanics swear by Rislone as well.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to see if you need any additional assistance.

If you are ready, please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I wanted to check whether you need any additional info.

If you no longer have any questions please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.