Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

96 range rover 4.0. I made the huge mistake of jump starting

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, '96 range rover 4.0. I made the huge mistake of jump starting it the other day. now absolutly nothing. battery is up but thats it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: lso did the 1515 code just before asking someone to jump me i also
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes. i will be here.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

when you jump started it were the battery leads on the the right way round ? as normally this isn't a problem to jump start these cars?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were on correctly. Will I be getting an answer per day?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

you can get a reply as often as required, although like most experts on here I'm not on 24/7

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please be sure my 'subscription' has been cancelled as requested within an hour of my first question. All Matt told me is pertinent, but available in the range rover forum.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

I'll opt out and see if another expert can help

good luck

if you want a refund then there's a request form on the front page of the site