Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

What's the most cost effective way to convert 24v to

Customer Question

What's the most cost effective way to convert 24v to 12volt for after market accessories like LED Lights? I like to replace some of the accessories like LED light bulbs on a truck with existing 24Volt system to 12 volt, but need a more reasonable alternative to a 20 dollar step down transformer for every item.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating.

This will run numerous products.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc1.htm

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My problem is mainly with the LED lights and gauges. A lot of them have their own power supply so I'm not able to use one good converter for all of them. I end up needing to "step down" each line. For example all of the gauges have their own power and 24 volt, but I was looking to upgrade to digital gauges and most of those come in 12 volts. Or I wanted to put a push ignition start with a smart key, but the ignition switch is 24 volt. There are many more varieties for lighting and accessories for 12v than 24 volt. I keep all the mechanical parts on 24volt, but need the 12 volt gadgets to interact with the 24 volt system. Other accessories I just run off of one battery.

I am unsure. I will opt out and maybe someone else has some ideas