George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

When i replace the timing chain do I need to bring 1

Customer Question

When i replace the timing chain do I need to bring 1 cylinder up and where are the line up marks for the crank chain. The cam sprocket parts i understand.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Yes, you need to put the marks on if you can.

Click here for marks

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the old cam sprockets had an arrow and a line on the opposite side. And the new sprockets have a dot. do i align the dot up. also I aligned the dot on the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at 12 o'clock and 2nd sprocket seems to be an idler does it really matter on this one.

The dot is in the same place as the old arrow?

For the crank chain it is the cam drive and the crank drive, no idler. Yes the cam sprockets need to be on their marks before you install the chain/grear to the cam drive.

This is a 2.0L correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2.0 on the crank sprocket i aligned the dot. A pickture shows the key aligned with the timing mark on engine

The dot is lined up with the key as shown in the diagram I posted above? Did you view the diagram?