sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

3litre D-tech was still fine and now that I want to start

Customer Question

3litre D-tech was still fine and now that I want to start it, the lights do go on, but not start at all, just dead, new battery was bought 10 days back.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming that the headlamps are normal brightness.

There are many things that can cause a lack of starter engagement and it will take some electrically testing to determine exactly what is going on. The first thing you'll want to do is check fuses.

The problem may be the starter itself, the ignition switch, the problem may be with the transmission range sensor or clutch switch depending on what transmission you have, the problem may be wiring or the engine controller may not be awake.

You can test for power at the starter solenoid terminal with the key held in the crank position. If there is power there, the starter positive cable has full battery voltage and engine ground is good then the problem is the starter itself.

If the starter isn't being commanded on then the next thing you'll want to do is use a scan tool to see if the ECM is awake, and if not then it's powers and grounds would need to be tested.