Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 Discovery II and yoday when I got home I put

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Discovery II and yoday when I got home I put the transmission in park but i cannot turn the key to remove it nor can I restart the vehicle. Is it a fuse?
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help, If the key won't turn at all, then it is likely not a fuse. Make sure the transmission is fully in park, and make sure the transmission release button is fully out, then hold the steering wheel to the left and right and try to move the key then. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That seems to be the problem, the shift lever is in park, the release button is fully out, the steering wheel can be turned both directions but will not lock and the key will not go into the lock position nor will it start the vehicle. All the dash lights light up when i try and start it but the ignition will not engage.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

So the key does turn in the ignition ? Does it turn a full 360?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, the key only turns to the start and to the position before locking
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's like the transmission is not in park even though the shifting lever shows it is in park. I have tried to move it from park and it will not budge even with both feet pressing on the brakes
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Alright, do you feel a slight click on the gear stick when you put your hand on it when you hit the brake, should hear it slightly in a quiet car. if not, check this video out and see if it will come out of park then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBbTUFjRkVc

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I will try that but I can't try it until tomorrow am. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Absolutely, let me know what happens. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Edward, I was able to release the vehicle from park but I had to call the Landrover dealer since the release button is in a different place than the video. The tech from the dealer suspects it is either the cable or sending switch since I have brake lights. Just letting you know for future reference. Again thanks for the help last night.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

It could be the cable that runs from the shifter mechanism to the interlock assembly. It's one of those things that is hard to say for sure without being there. I will opt out and let another expert assist if they have any other ideas. Thank you.