Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

2005 sebring convertable vent defaults to defrost
, it

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** 2005 sebring convertable vent defaults to defrost
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it blowes cold and hot,but will not come threw dash vents
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. can you get it to blow out of the floor vents?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
defaults to defrost and floor
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you have a failed mode door actuator or the HVAC control panel has failed. The control panel sends a signal to the mode door actuator and moves the door(s) inside of the HVAC housing to direct the air flow to the desired vent. Most likely the actuator itself because you can still control the temperature. But before you have the actuator replaced, try resetting the system by disconnecting the negative battery cable under the hood near the left shock tower. Disconnect it for 3 minutes and then reconnect it. That may cause the system to re calibrate and start working. If not, then have the mode door actuator replaced.

I hope this information helps!

Chris