K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I own a cardilac srx 2005 recently changed my starter due to

Customer Question

I own a cardilac srx 2005 recently changed my starter due to hard starting with a new starter from Gm parts store in USA. Since after I did the change, if I drive for an hour thirty minutes and stop to shop or see someone with my engine shut off and keys off ignition the car won't start and takes time to start maybe after engine cools down. I also noticed the starter is close to the exhaust manifold system could it be possible for the heat from the exhaust causing the problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this sounds like you are experiencing what is known as "heat soak" it's from the exhaust manifold making the starter hot which increases the electrical resistance of the starter. The cure is to install a heat shield on the starter like the one's below.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Starter+Heat+Shields/N1811/C0379.oap?make=Cadillac&vi=1432727&model=CTS&year=2005