Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

I've got a problem with my car - Commodore VT 1999 Executive

Customer Question

I've got a problem with my car - Commodore VT 1999 Executive Series II (automatic transmission).
I tried using my key remote to open the car door, but it didn't open. So I then had to put the key in the door keyhole to open the door. I then put the key in the ignition and turned the key to start the car, but the car wouldn't start. When I turned the key there was no noise from the engine whatsoever. I tried turning the key a few times and still the same result - car didn't start. I checked to make sure the car was in Park with the gear/transmission stick, and even moved the gear stick out of Park and put it into Park again, tried to start the car again and still nothing happened. I charged the battery for an hour to see if it was the battery, and after charging the battery, the car still didn't start (no noise from the engine whatsoever - completely dead). I talked to the NRMA (roadside assistance) and they said it could either be my ignition switch or my starter motor. A couple of hours after the NRMA guy left, I decided to use my spare car key remote. The spare car key remote opened the door and I put the spare car key into the ignition, and the car started with no problems. So I'm now wondering if the problem is simply a flat battery in the original car key remote - rather than the ignition switch or starter motor?
Could you please let me know what you think the problem with my car might be?
I look forward to receiving a response from you soon.
Thanks.
Luke.
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your assessment....I do believe that the battery is flat in your original remote . These batteries are nto long life batteries. They will have just enough charge left in them to work today, and, tomorrow, the battery might be a tiny bit too low to work. I would recommend you replace the battery in the remote. There is always the possibility that the transmitter function of the remote is faulty too. This is not uncommon on a 15 year old remote. If a replacement battery does not fix the issue, I would take the car to your nearest dealer and have them check the output of the remote on their meter that measures the signal strength of the remote. If there is no signal, you will need to replace the remote.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer