rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1979 MG. I tried to start it last night and it

Customer Question

I have a 1979 MG. I tried to start it last night and it wouldn't start. It turned over nicely and the battery is well charged. I checked to see if there was spark between a sparkplug and the spark plug wire. I saw no spark at all. Any ideas as to where I might try next.
Category: Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

I believe this has electronic ignition, so your possibilities would be the ignition coil, stator inside the distributor or ignition module. Also be sure that you have battery voltage to the plus side of the ignition coil from the ignition switch. If by chance this was converted to a point ignition, then check for closed up points or a bad condenser too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, thank you. I do not know what a stator is. In addition, I do not know where to find the condenser. To clarify, the ignition coil is that device connected to the distributor? Also, how am I able to check for battery voltage to the positive side of the ignition coil ? Jeff
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeff

You will use a test light or volt meter. As for the other components, some soec u albert equipment is necessary and you may need some outside help with that.

Thanks , and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference.