Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Had serpentine belt and tensioner replaced on my 1995 Olds

Customer Question

Had serpentine belt and tensioner replaced on my 1995 Olds Silhouette Van 2 weeks ago. Drove home from shop, 7 miles, and noticed oil gauge was in red area. Mechanic had said he checked everything out before releasing van, and all was well. Checked oil level, dry. Nothing on dipstick. Put in 4 qts. oil (10-30 wt.) and dipstick checks full, but oil needle rides just above danger red area, and engine runs hotter than normal. Temperature gauge on dash is riding in normal operating range, but engine is noticeably hot after being driven any distance. Just checked oil level dipstick again, and it is still full. Why is engine running hot and oil gauge just above danger level, when oil is full and temp. gauge is normal?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am real sorry your having this problem

do you hear any engine noise at all ?

did you call the shop and tell them the oil was down over 4 quarts when you got it home ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is this a 3.1 or a 3.8 engine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes there is a ticking noise under the hood when the engine is very hot, but nothing else. I have noticed in the past few days, the van bucks or hesitates then recovers and runs fine, but the hesitation is small and only happens once or twice in a 5-10 mile trip and lasts only a second or two, just enough to make my heart jump.
No, I did not call the shop; I should have. I thought it might have been an oversight on their part and that I could remedy the situation by adding the oil and all would be well, but that's not the case. I am going to call them first thing tomorrow morning before I go to work and see if they can do a computer check for me. I have a hard time with confrontation, and I often choose to not act when I should.
I don't know which engine it is, or what the numbers mean. I can go get the owners manual in the morning and look it up. I don't want to go outside tonite.
After I wrote the initial question to you earlier, I drove about 10 miles to the grocery store, and then 10 miles back. Before I left, I added a gallon of water to the overflow tank from the radiator thinking maybe that would help (it also was dry). I didn't put any in the radiator itself, because I wasn't sure if that would do any damage. My thinking was since the engine seems to be running hot, but the oil is OK; and maybe the temp. gauge is faulty, maybe the system needs more water to help with the cooling. I'm just grasping at straws because I'm very nervous about driving the car in this condition and doing more damage to the engine. Plus, I don't think I can get it into the shop until Friday when I'm off; and I need it to get to work for the next 4 days. I know I'm rambling, and I do appreciate your help and input.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the first thing that has to be done is the oil pressure switch removed and a mechanical oil pressure gauge connected to the engine where the switch came out of and see if a mechanical oil gauge reads the oil pressure as low

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll call the shop and see if they can get me in soon to check the oil pressure. Thanks for the advice and I will get back to you after I talk to them. Is there a time limit on how long I can continue to talk to you? If I can't get the car in until Friday, is that too far in the future to keep contacting you?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

there is no time limit

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up anytime with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up anytime with this question

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here