sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have not checked with a DVOM yet but did however check

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have not checked with a DVOM yet but did however check that the throttle opened with key on engine off while pressing the accelarator & it did move. Therefore the plate is not stuck, what else might be causing this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I hit a pot hole hard the car drove for another 2 blocks & shut down, it cranks & all but does not turn on. I hooked up my little scanner & retrieved codes P2104 & P2112.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These are indeed electronic throttle control codes and most likely point to a physical issue with the throttle body.

What is the year and model of the vehicle and what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
2005 Lincoln LS V6 3.0

P2104 sets when the engine controller is forced to idle the engine due to n electronic throttle control issue, P2112 sets when the throttle angle is less than the commanded angle. This could be an internal issue in the engine controller but is almost surely a throttle body issue. If nothing foreign was in the throttle body blocking throttle blade movement at the time the code set then the throttle body should be replaced.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Prior to ordering the throttle body, from your expert opinion what percentage do you assume is the throttle body? I originally stated I hit a pothole hard, then drove for another 2 blocks & stalled not starting up again. I mean to me it's weird that the hit/bang would affect the throttle body know what I mean?

The problem may or may not have been related to hitting a pothole. There is a 99% chance that the problem is the throttle body or something foreign was blocking blade movement.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Nothing foreign is or was blocking the throttle plate. Do this cars have a gas cut off switch that may have moved with the hit/bang when the pothole was hit?

There is no inertia switch used, and if an inertia switch had tripped it would have had to be manually reset before the engine would start.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
this car model does not have an inertia switch? I want to be certain before buying the throttle body because it's an expensive piece.

You do not have an inertia switch and if it did that wouldn't be related to an electronic throttle control issue.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have the green light to replace the throttle body is what you're saying?

Yes, the problem is either the throttle body or something was physically blocking the blade from moving.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Great thank you for your help...

You're welcome!