Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Have a 1999 Dodge Truck, Will not Accelorate but will crank

Customer Question

Have a 1999 Dodge Truck, Will not Accelorate but will crank and idle. What could cause it not to accelerate ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Is the check engine light on when it's running?
Have you done anything to it recently? cam or crank sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the light, no to all the rest. Just bought it for my son.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

First if it's possible it might help to know what code is being stored.

The problem can be caused by a lot of different items, especially if the light is on, however the timing could be off or you could have an issue with the catalytic converter being plugged up. On these if the cam or crank sensor is replaced it has to have a sync done with a scan tool or it will run just like the timing is off or if the converter is plugged up.

Probably best to get the codes read if possible, but you could also try removing the front O2 sensors and see if it runs any better. If it does, then the converter is blocked. One other item that may do this is the fuel pressure. If it's low, the truck could idle, but under load not drive well at all

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!