jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

1979 Corvette, brakes failed suddenly, pedal to the floor.

Customer Question

Customer: 1979 Corvette, brakes failed suddenly, pedal to the floor. Replaced front calipers, rotors, lines, Master Cylinder and Power Booster. Bled brakes in order from Manual. great pressure until starting car, then pedal goes all the way to the floor just like it did before we replaced almost the entire system. The only thing not replaced is the brake line manifold. There are no visible leaks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car does stop, just slowly while the pedal goes to the floor. I did bench bled the new master cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI, I replaced front calipers when I found them leaking. rear calipers and pads look fine.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, most likely the master was the part that failed in the first place along with the leaking calipers . the rear brake caliper may have sticking pins or bushings ,that will cause a low brake pedal situation that you have ..

sometimes you have to gravity bleed the brake system..

that is open the bleeder at each caliper -one at a time and let the fluid run a little bit then close the bleeder .

do this at each one and check the rear calipers to make sure they are moving freely ..

do it in the pattern of bleeding as per the manual ...jazzmaster ..

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am just checking back .

If I helped please rate me positive and we can still continue if needed .

this is the only way I receive credit for the question ..thank you ...jazzmaster ...