Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Had a friend work on my car recently at a local garage bad

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Eric had a friend work on my car recently at a local garage for a bad valve cover gasket for an oil leak and he changed the spark plugs, problem is when I got it back it was running really rough and the whole car was vibrating. He said I needed the motor mounts replaced, got that done by a more experienced mechanic but the rough idling feels like its under my seat and towards the back of the car and the car doesnt want to start at times. Trying to figure out if this is an emissions problem or a gas to oxygen ratio, etc and if other parts are going bad or if the friend messed something up when putting the engine back together. I have a 2004 suzuki xl7 and up to this point has run really good. Whats your thoughts! ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just want to make sure all my message came through above where I talk about the rough idling, car wont start at times, etc.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replaced the coils that attach to the spark plugs since it doesnt have a wire set. I asked the friend to replace the PCV valve but really dont know if he replaced it. Needless to say I wont be taking my car back to him no matter how long I have known him. I just hoped he didnt cause me a serious repair bill to correct either his mistake or a situation that he made worse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my check engine light isnt on but was wondering where its located on my car and is there a possibility that this friend could have disconnected it by accident and did not reconnected it when putting the engine back together and possibly the reason my check engine light isnt coming on for some of these issues I am having?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The check engine light is located in the instrument cluster and it would be pretty hard to disconnect. That being said I would still go ahead and scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Most auto part stores like Auto Zone will run a scan for you at no charge. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there to try and get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response! After I posted this request for the issue I am having, I scheduled to have a diagnostic done tomorrow morning to see if any codes come back. will follow up later with results.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good. Post back with them and we can work from there.