Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

We have a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi with keyless ignition.

Customer Question

We have a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi with keyless ignition. intermittent problem when we push start button, car will not start, and warning light comes on to say steering wheel lock is engage and to rotate the steering wheel. The steering wheel lock has actually been engaged maybe a handful of times since we've had the car. My brother pushed down on the ignition relay under the hood and it seemed to solve the problem. When it happened again after about 3 months, I pushed down on it and seemed to solve the problem. Now it is back and that no longer does it. I found that for a couple of weeks opening the door and pushing the start button would make it start. But now nothing. My wife and I sat at a diner for 20 minutes trying to coax the thing to start. Finally, we tried praying over it, and it started. The car has become unreliable and I cannot find a mechanic who knows anything about the car or how to diagnose it's electrical/computer issues. Suzuki cars are no longer sold in US and it's hard to find someone who can pinpoint the problem without wanting thousands to replace the computer or the entire wiring harness or just taking the time to diagnose the issue.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are looking for a definitive answer on what to do to repair this vehicle, step by step instructions, or at least that you have seen this before and have a fix for it.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can help you, was the relay that was pushed on, in a main relay fuse box center under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is.

ok these type fuse boxes are multi layered and non serviceable, the only option is to replace it, a used one will work but they all do the same thing over time, the layers of electronic circuit board are glued together from the factory under hood temperatures cause this glue to deteriorate over time and the layers come unglued, pushing on the relay temporarily made the circuit boards to make contact,to diagnose ,open the fuse /relay center and place an unopened 3 lb bag of sugar on the fuses relays and start the car , if it changes in any way from the way the issue was ,it must be replaced.

I usually will place the bag of sugar inside a zip lock bag to insure no sugar leaks,its the weight on the circuit boards that you are after, Please RATE my service a 3 or above ,if for some reason you can not ,Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that entire fuse/relay box must be replaced? That would cost thousands to replace wouldn't it? This vehicle is not even sold in the US anymore. I don't know where I would even start to find a replacement.

Unfortunately yes , In the past when i have come across this issue, and confirmed it by adding weight, I had to replace the entire fuse relay center 600.00,new 300.00 used here in Oklahoma.

Ebay global for used unit, new from Suzuki directly plus shipping from Japan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I wrote in my description, opening and closing the door also seemed to have an effect. I noted that in other threads about this car, opening and closing the driver side door seemed to play some role in how the computer operates. For example, in the resetting of the tire pressure sensor, there was something about depressing a button on the door. Could this be a computer problem or is it the board. Would replacing the relay and/or fuses be a good place to start to diagnose the problem. Is this something that happens frequently or is it something peculiar to Suzuki, or Japanese cars?

The opening /closing of the doors causing electrical malfunctions, resets etc was usually the initial complaint from my Suzuki customers. Unfortunately the starting place is to replace the fuse/relay center. Then diagnose secondary issues which usually go away with the replacement of the fuse/relay center. This is imperfect Suzuki design flaw.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this keeps happening, then the car will be undrivable after a time and impossible to repair. Should I fix it and get rid of it?

I have to leave that decision to you ,but i will tell you this i have had a couple Suzuki's come to me after the fuse relay center caught fire.