Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I asked this earlier and was not able to go further due to

Customer Question

I asked this earlier and was not able to go further due to the tricky nature of the problem. I have an SL 550 year 2011. The passenger seatbelt retractor no longer works....a broken spring would appear to be the reason. I found a company up in Boston that repairs these units for $65 plus postage. What I need to know is how to remove the retractor assembly. And by that I mean going by the factory manual's assembly detail. My car maintenance Co is very competent but this one has them stumped and there does not seem to be anything up on youtube or anywhere else that will give us guidance.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** are the procedures for removing the retractor, with pictures,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tim. It says page one of two. But only one has come through, do we need that page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The instruction sheet that you sent does not show how the seat belt comes free from the seat corner part ( it has a control switch to move the seat forwards or backwards).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry,below is page 2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right so now I have two pages but before we go to a phone talk ....are you able to answer my question about the belt coming free of the seat corner part?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

does this picture show it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really although you do have the seat belt guide I referred to . The car is a 2011 SL 550 with no AMG provenance and the seat belt guide is not the same shape, nor does it seem to be able to separate as this one does, as the slot through which the belt runs is a mono block with no indications that the slot becomes openable on either side.