FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2001 Cadillac deville runs hot have replaced water pump,

Customer Question

2001 Cadillac deville runs hot have replaced water pump, thermostat, gaskets on crossover and it still runs hot what is the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me how hot it gets and under which driving conditons that it does so. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine is hot light is on meter is all the way to the top
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under any driving condition or if it is just idleing
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.

Is it on hot even when started first thing in the morning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but I still need the answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the expert advice on the question I asked about 2001cadilac deville running hot and how to bleed the system
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.

My question was about if it showed hot when the car is first started cold. If it does then you either have a gauge or coolant temperature sensor issue. The sensor is a common failure. Most of the time on this engine though it is a head gasket issue. You can typically borrow a block testing kit at most auti parts stores. It tests for exhaust gases in the coolant to let you know if there is a serious internal engine issue. If that comes back negative then I would suspect either a clog in the radiator or a failure in the cooling fans. As for bleeding the system, you just start and run it and allow it to warm up and then turn it off and allow it to cool. You will do this several times. In some cases you need to jack up the car one at a time on each of the front corners to force the air out as it can get trapped in the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the radiator done every thing you said, it do not show hot on startups it has to run about thirty min. it bubbles the antifreeze out when shut off
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back with me. If it is getting hot after about 30 minutes then see if the radiator fans are coming on. If they are and it is still hot then you may have a slightly leaking head gasket. You can use a block tester to check this. If the fans are not coming on then you may have a circuit issue that I can tell you how to test with a voltage meter.