Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

2006 ford freestyle overheated, but now doesnt over heat but

Customer Question

2006 ford freestyle overheated, but now doesnt over heat but has no heat, best way to diganose problem, has new waterpump and theromstat housing, and i flushed heater core
Category: Car
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are both the inlet and outlet hoses to the heater core hot to the touch? Does the cooling fan work propperly and come on when you turn the ac on? Its not overheating now?Does the temperature control inside seem to change from ac to warm when turned to hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The controls inside does work I can hear the actuator. No it doesn't overheat. The one hose I believe outlet is warm not hot, and lower radiator hose from thermostat housing is warm. Fan does work. I tried to remove thermostat and just have full flow, still no heat not even warming up.
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Ok and you said you flushed the heater core, with both hoses disconnected do you have flow through the core?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good flow
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you have good flow thru the core with a hose do you have good flow to the heater core from the heater hoses, one will flow in and one out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
other way to, it runs water threw the same way it goes in
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is the engine running at normal operating temperature about halfway up, you said the lower radiator hose is warm is the upper radiator hose hot? What did the coolant look like in the system, you have a new water pump so you should have circulation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coolant been flushed so it's all new. Yes about halfway when goes up a little fan kicks on and temp goes down back to half. Water pump was installed by a mancanhic. Can it be installed wrong? Or is it one way.
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Only goes in one way, make sure the upper radiator hose is hot should be about 10 degrees difference between the upper and lower radiator hose being little cooler. You said both hoses to the heater core are not hot so either its a restriction going to the heater core or an air pocket in the system. If both hoses are hot I would suspect an issue with the temperature blend door motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe there is air in the system, I can physical hear and feel the blend door opening and shouting and was working before the new water pump. How do you bleed air in this system?
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Filling and Bleeding without RADIATOR REFILLER

NOTICE: Engine coolant provides freeze protection, boil protection, cooling efficiency and corrosion protection to the engine and cooling components. In order to obtain these protections, the engine coolant must be maintained at the correct concentration and fluid level.

To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:

• Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color). Use the same coolant that was drained from the cooling system. Do not mix coolant types.
  • Do not add Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant or an equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D. Mixing coolants can degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.
  • Do not add alcohol, methanol, or brine, or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.
  • Ford Motor Company does NOT recommend the use of recycled engine coolant in vehicles originally equipped with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant since a Ford-approved recycling process is not yet available.

NOTE: For vehicles equipped with an optional rear heater, RADIATOR REFILLER must be used whenever the underbody coolant lines and/or rear heater core are drained or removed.

NOTE: The addition of Cooling System Stop Leak Pellets, darkens Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant from yellow to golden tan.

1. Fill the degas bottle with the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle seam line.
    • Recommended coolant concentration is 50/50 ethylene glycol to distilled water.
      • Maximum coolant concentration is 60/40 for cold weather areas.
      • Minimum coolant concentration is 40/60 for warm weather areas.
  1. Install the pressure relief cap.
  1. Remove the retaining clip and the fill tab on the top of the thermostat housing and fill through the thermostat housing until full.
  1. Install the fill tab and retaining clip.
  1. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air from the A/C vents in the instrument panel.
  1. Start the engine and allow it to idle until engine reaches normal operating temperature. While the engine is idling, feel for hot air from the A/C vents.
  1. NOTICE: If the air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move or the low coolant light comes on, the engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.

Run the engine at 3,000 rpm for 10 minutes. Hot air should discharge from the A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the normal range, and the upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.
    • Shut the engine off and allow it to cool.
    • Check the engine for coolant leaks.
    • Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill to the seam line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's exactly what I did in first place. Could there be air in radiator if so how do I empty that out?
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

No but it may be necessary to bleed the system more than once

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check everything tomorrow and let you know
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Very good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok same issue, the coolant feed on degas bottle shoots coolant back and fill to top making a click noise. What can cause this, still no heat seems like it's taking into heater core
Expert:  Gene replied 1 year ago.

Im out of ideas so I will opt out and let another expert try and assist you

Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed you had someone helping you. Do you still have an issue?