Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

97ford truck window problem

Customer Question

97ford truck window problem
Category: Car
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try to help you with your concern . Please note that I am not standing in front of your vehicle. My diagnosis is a educated guess at best using all the information you provide. Leaving out import things you have tried, experienced or recent work performed only makes my job harder.

what problem are you having with the window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2door truck neither door window will work up or down ck all fuses in both fuse holder engine compartment and under dash. On driver side switch have blue with black stripe is hot all time

ok since there is a problem in both windows. My guess is it is the GEM control unit for the windows is faulty.

this module is replaceable as a plug in unit and does not need to be programmed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No way to check the gem to make sure that it is bad

here's a test you can do to determine if the gem module is the problem:

1. Remove the one-touch down relay and install a jumper between relay holder terminal 30 and 87 with the key in the run position. This should result in the driver's door window going down.

2. If the window will not go down, verify that power is present to the one-touch down relay on terminal 87 which is supplied by the accessory delay relay. If there is no power on this terminal, the junction box/fuse relay panel is defective.

3. If the window goes down when installing the jumper between the terminals of the one touch down relay, check for power to the junction box/fuse relay panel C243 connector on the Tan/Light Blue (T/LB) wire at pin 10 when holding the driver's window switch in the down position. This test needs to be performed with all connectors of the junction box/fuse relay panel connected and the ignition key in the run position.

4. If power is present from the master switch on the T/LB wire when the window will not go down and the window went down when jumpering the terminals of the one-touch down relay, replace the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

5. If there is no power to the C243 connector on the T/LB wire when the condition occurs, service the circuit for an open between the door and the body.

please let me know if you need further assistance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you supply diagram on circuit for test?