Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Sold a 2006 Forenza....no light on....no problems. Came back

Customer Question

Sold a 2006 Forenza....no light on....no problems. Came back to me with 36 hours with a check engine light and a oil pressure light on. Code is P2188. We have ordered an oil pressure switch but do not know what else to look for. The scanner shows 1st O2 sensor with the right wave length but the 2nd on going every which way. What do you suggest? Mechanic standing by.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The oil light being on is strange. The p2188 is a system too rich code, which could be any number of things. I attached a diagnostic sheet from suzuki to give you an idea of possible causes, but the oil light has me thrown a little. There isn't anything common that would cause low oil pressure and a rich condition. Does the engine sound like it lacks oil pressure? Drive-train rattle or noise?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Attachment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I have for pressure at the fuel rail
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Between 40 (when cold) and 60 (when hot) PSI.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At startup cold there is 62 at the shraider valve on fuel rail aat idle is this normal or is it to high? Can this cause the p2188 code
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That sounds a little high, but not terrible. It might be just enough to trigger the rich code though. The only regulator in this system is inside the fuel pump so you need to be sure it's not something else or you will waste time and money on the fuel pump.

I think I would probably run some concentrated fuel system cleaner through the system (lucas fuel injector cleaner works well) and see if one of the injectors is just stuck open causing the rich condition.

If that doesn't improve it, then I would go after the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck with the injector cleaner. But if at all possible could you show me what the graph for the two o2 sensors look like. Should sensor 1 and sensor 2 wave lengths be simmiler? Also I changed oil and put on a better filter and it kept oil light out
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This is all that Suzki publishes on their oxygen sensors on this vehicle:

"If the catalyst is operating efficiently, the HO2S1 sensor signals will be more active than the signals produced by the HO2S2 sensor. The catalyst monitor sensors operate the same way as the fuel control sensors. The sensor's main function is catalyst monitoring, but they also have a limited role in fuel control. If a sensor output indicates a voltage either above or below the 450 mV bias voltage for an extended period of time, the ECM will make a slight adjustment to fuel trim to ensure that fuel delivery is correct for catalyst monitoring."

I can't find a data table anywhere. You pretty much need to look for a lower voltage signal on the second sensor because the cat should be cleaning up the exhaust content.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do these readouts look OK?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The down stream sensor seems kind of flat. It should rise and fall a little more. That sensor may be dead or dying.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still same issue on light any further info you can give
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

What have you done since we last spoke a few weeks ago? Any work on the O2 sensors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed o2 sensor #2 seamed like I made it more active light stayed out longer but it came back on same code
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I guess at this point the next thing to look at is a PCM. I would probably go through all of the connectors and grounds and make sure everything looks ok first. If it got better for a little while and then came back I would definitely be suspicious of a bad PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Got a PCM in and replaced it. Light stayed out for aprox 12 miles.....back on again. My customer will not take it back until this light is out. HELP
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Is it the same trouble code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exact same.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Fuel pressure is still above 60 at the fuel rail when cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I hate throwing parts at this thing, but maybe it's time for a fuel pump. The pressure is regulated at the pump, controlled by the PCM. You replaced the PCM, so now the only thing left is the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have ordered a used pump. Is there a separate filter for the fuel or just the one on the pump?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Just the one on the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you buy filter at Napa or do you need to get from zuki
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It is part of the fuel pump assembly. You can't replace just the pump portion of the assembly. Well, I guess you could, but it won't fix the problem you are having here. The regulator is part of the assembly, not part of the pump portion.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This is what you need

Delphi FG1181

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New pump still running at 62 psi at idle light came on b4 I could back out of shop still same code .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Light comes on on cold start nocked light out once warmed up drove 20 + mi no issue shut car off restart when cooled down car stalled was able to restart no prob then light came back on seems like this issue happens b4 the ecm uses the o2/ sensors where does the ecm get the parameters from b4 the o2 sensors come into play
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, we are having internet troubles here at the shop.

The parameters are flashed into the PCM. You replaced the PCM already. Was it programmed from the dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used sane make model engine and identifying # ***** pcm
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Where did it come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered through our salvage yard from known running car
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I'm pretty sure it will need to be flashed by the dealer to get it to work correctly. You might have to call the suzuki dealer to verify.

Would you like me to opt out and see if someone else has any insights?

We've been working on this for a month now and I hate to keep you going without being able to fix it.

I haven't received a rating yet so I don't want to waste either your or my time.