Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

I have a 2002 land rover,discovery SE.that I bought and I

Customer Question

hello I have a 2002 land rover,discovery SE.that I bought and I have a problem w/the caliper on the front passanger side,it get hot and for some reason caliper close and car can't move,stock the land rover repair chop,change caliper 3 times and the master cylinder and stil is putting 3-400degree on that side and 208 in the driver front side any suggestions please thanks
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

It could be a problem with the ABS but usually this will not cause the one side to lock up. It is most likely the flexible brake hose if we are certain the caliper is not defective. Lets replace the hose and bleed the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did that already it's not that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Land Rover place put new hose and bleed it again still getting hot on that side
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Only the front passenger side locks up? The driver side and both rears are free? Is the ABS warning on and do you feel the ABS kicking in under normal braking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights came on car's brake great just that side gets hot and lock the other 3 side are good 208 temp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no lights warning,only that side gets hot and locks the other 3 side are great brakes good pads everything just that side the temp on the 3 side is 208
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok then yes if we have a stuck valve in the ABS hydraulic unit it can keep pressure to the brake and each wheel is independent. Also when these fail hydraulically they do not always leave faults. Next time the brake is locked loosen the bleeder screw to see if there is pressure. This will tell us if in fact the system is pressurizing that side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well ok,i guess that will be the next step,but they install a used but good ABS AND PROBLEM STILL?.THEN THEY INSTALL THE OLD ONE BACK BECAUSE NO CODE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOW THEY DN'T KNOW WHERE TO GO.IS THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS TO ANYBODY BEFORE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALSO RICHARD THEY TOOK ALL THE TIRES OFF THE CAR CAR UP AND SEE HOW MUCH PRESSURE THAT SIDE WAS DOING AND SO AR WAS EQUAL FROM THE OTHER 3 SIDE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THEY BLEED THE BRAKES SEVERAL TIMES TO SEE IF THE PRESSURE WAS LESS IN THAT SIDE BUT SAME
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like it is temperature related as it may do this when it gets hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct when I brake several times for 20-30 min is when start to getting hot and smell and car start to feel like brake is on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok then this is when we have to do the test I described. If you crack each bleeder screw with your foot of the brake no fluid should come out at first then it may trickle to a very slow drip. If there is pressure on that side fluid may come out with a little pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you know anybody that have a problem like my can u help me found out if anybody had something like this happens any mechanics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes and usually replacing the caliper and hose resolves the problem. I will research this further in the meantime til you can perform the test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but when the mechanic need to do this? When car is hot somebody have to drive the car please explain thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will be waiting for your answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what kind of condition the car have to be to perform the test
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes the problem needs to be happening when we do the test. I recommend the vehicle be driven but close to the shop. Then once the problem occurs bring in into the shop and have them check by loosening the bleeder to that side first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK,SO WHEN THEY DO THE TEST WHAT'S NEXT WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR? WHAT PART AFTER THAT TEST MUST BE LOOK INTO
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If it shows pressure then it looks like it could be that ABS unit. The master cylinder is plit so another wheel would also be locked as well. If there is little to no pressure then we have an issue with the caliper or something causing the pads to drag.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK,THANKS HOW WE BE IN TOUCH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TOMOROW?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds good