Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I was driving along doing 70 mph yesterday when suddenly

Customer Question

Hi I was driving along doing 70 mph yesterday when suddenly lost power and engine came on with restricted power mode light ( limp mode I think ... ) the car didn't smoke or anything .. I Limped the car home and took it too a local mechanic .. He plugged it into the dig agnostics and he said it was a seized turbo ?
Anyway I limped the car home .. Left it for a few hours .. Started car up , drove car a couple of miles or so and there was no loss of power or light ? Maybe an overheated turbo or something ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin my assumption is that the turbo actuator is sticking rather than the turbo internals .the actuator controls the amount of boost pressur allowed to build on boost.this is very common on the range rovers they used to sell an actuator kit but it doesn't really solve issue the only real solution is a new turbo . The car goes into limp mode when it sees the fault as soon as car is allowed to go to sleep it starts out of limp mode and is back to normal until it sees fault again then you will be back into limp mode.from memory on the sport the body has to be removed to replace turbo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took it to a lamdrover specialist today and after many tests etc it was down to a cracked inlet manifold .. Car getting mixed airflow etc so computer kicks it into limp mode ... At least it's not a turbo anyway
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Alls well that ends well glad your sorted unusual one that one seen loads of turbos never a manifold