Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

2009 GMC Acadia taken to dealer and Crank shaft position

Customer Question

2009 GMC Acadia taken to dealer for Cam and Crank shaft position sensor codes. Told timing gears, chains etc. needed replaced. GM covered repairs. Also replaced water pump. Got car back and it had a miss. Took car back to dealer and they said i need a coil and plug for #1 cylinder at $480+. Could this be an issue from the previous repair (vacum leak, intake leak, timing issue etc)? What trouble shooting should I ask them to perform other than hooking up a scan tool before I start throwing $$$$ and parts at this??
Submitted: 1 year ago via TrueDelta.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** dollars for replacing one coil and one plug is outrageous, the coil is only about 80 dollars and plug under 10 dollars, the labor to replace it depends on which side it is on, did they say which coil was bad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Woils this be the one that would show a misfire if the timing was slightly off.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, #1 is on the left bank, and the intake manifold has to come off to replace them, but the labor should not be more than 150 dollars, and the parts about 100, so about 150 total,*****high, If the timing was off, it would missfire on at least 3 cylinders, not just one, and there would be no way for them to cause a vacuum leak by doing the timing chain and waterpump,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. You have answered my questions. Working with dealer on cost. I do not want to undertake the job of pulling the intake off at home. I do not have an enclosed garage for doing repairs out of the elements. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

i DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ON COST, i SAID THEY ARE CHARGING WAY TOO MUCH, If you have more questions, just ask?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noted that you did answer my question. Worked with dealer on cost. Got it down to $200 including the cost of the part. Checked a couple local garages and cost was comparable. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Great, glad I could help. please dont forget to rate me, I tis the only way I get credit for helping, thanks in advance,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Please dont forget to rate me, I do not get paid unless you do, Thanks,Tim