Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

If your ac blows cold but only blows sometimes is that the

Customer Question

if your ac blows cold but only blows sometimes is that the blower motor or the blower itself that is causing the issue?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

To clarify, the blower motor stops pushing air every once in a while?

When it's acting up, if you change the setting to a different blower speed does it make any difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blower stops pushing air every so often and it doesnt matter what setting you put it on it intermittently stops blowing air then after a bit will start blowing air again.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like the brushes in the blower motor are heating up and shutting the blower off. The blower motor is probably going bad.

Would you like a diagram that shows how to replace it?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

There isn't much out there anymore because of the year model. This diagram is all that is available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this under the dashboard or in the engine compartment? Yes I would like detailed instructions on how to replace since I already have half of the dashboard taken apart to replace the radio and the lighter in the car. I figured if there was something wrong with the blower while it is already taken apart I might as well fix the other part that needs replacing since it was a pain in the rear just to get to the area for the radio to begin with.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It's on the firewall in the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then i know where it is but can you send me instructions on how to replace it anyway just so i know for sure what im doing? thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You might replace the resistor while you are at it. They tend to be the cause of blower motors going bad. It's right on the outside of the blower housing.

This is all that AllData publishes on it. Let me see if maybe Motor has a better diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car im working on is a v6 not a four cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you answer me another question on a different vehicle without having to pay any more since im on a very fixed income?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sure. What else do you have?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is a better diagram for the blower motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1996 chevy c1500 v8 5.7ltr engine. One day my truck just stopped running. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filters, spark plugs, wires, distributor w/cap and rotor, cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, ignition sensor, spark plugs, oil change, oil pan gasket, transmission fluid, transmission filter and pan gasket, rubber parts on vacuum line for the oil pressure gague, and o2 sensors that was the only thing coming up as an error code that something was wrong. Currently the truck runs but has no power especially when you first start it and when going uphill. sometimes it works great and has power and at other times its like real shit and it takes forever to get from 0-50. Then also when your driving and even if running fine when you get to about 50 it starts shaking. ive also noticed that when i use only chevron with techron gas it works a little better than when i put gas in from other stations but still has no power like it did before. If i were to go uphill right now with the way it was running while hauling a trailer the weight from the trailer would actually pull be backwards even with my foot on the gas at full power. LIke i would go nowhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh also changed the intake and valve gaskets and replaced the fuel injectors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought it might be a little out of time so i bought a timing light but i honestly dont know how to use it. and cant find anyone i know that could help me figure it out cause im a woman but it seems to me like i know more about cars than ALL of the men that i know. Which really sucks
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That definitely sounds like it is off time. Is it possible the wrong distributor was installed? I've seen that before.

1. Disconnect the CMP sensor.

2. If the engine runs good at that point, remove the distributor rotor.

3. Check the top of the vane cup for a "6" or an "8". This is not the "8" or "6" that the distributor is aligned to during installation.

4. If a "6" is present, the wrong distributor, one for a 6 cylinder engine has been installed in this 8 cylinder engine.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Do you have an obdII scan tool to check the timing? This engine doesn't normally come with a timing mark to be able to check it with a timing light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope dont have one but might be able to get one soon if i dont keep spending lots of money on parts this thing dont need lol any suggestions if the distributor is the right one? and where would the cmp sensor be?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I have seen people put timing covers with timing marks on them before though, so if you look at your timing cover, just behind the harmonic balancer pulley, can you see a timing mark? It should be in the area I marked on this picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you lost me when vane cup as well. dont know if there is a mark there cause i wasnt looking for one since i didnt know how to use the timing light.
got an image of the vane cup as well by chance? and what is the cmp?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The CMP is right on top of the engine. #1 on this picture.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Cam position sensor. Sorry. Mechanics and their acronyms...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got a cell number i can text and send images to? so tomorrow in the daylight i can take pics and send images back to you by chance? when i get more money i can paypal you some for your troubles if you dont mind
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i promise to only bother you on the weekends cause im sure you already have a daytime job.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The vane cup is inside of the housing of the distributor. The part under the rotor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really wouldnt bother you just ask questions so i can get my truck running correctly.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

distributor

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Any way you can attach the pictures here on just answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but right now i cant keep asking questions here and keep paying for answers. I only get 860 dollars a month to live on and every little bit counts trust me. i make only tiny bits of money doing things for other people and cant work full time cause of a spinal injury that i have two herniated disks and my spinal cord is pinched in three places. I can only stand for a few minuets at a time and have a hard time working on the truck or anything else for that matter. I wish there are sites that people would help for free but there really isnt. ase cert. mechanics or techs arent on those sites only shadetree people and they arent any better than i am when diagnosing or working on things and cant explain for crap so im forced to ask here which i really cant afford but need my truck to get around since it has my chair lift on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to keep this conversation open until i can get my truck running properly?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's fine. Just keep posting every few days and it will stay open.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I'm in no rush. I just like to help.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you needed any additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still having trouble with my truck it's now in time but still running the same and van figure it out.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Did you find that it was it off time before?