Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

2005 suzuki auto tran, 4wd vitara xl7. I know it can be

Customer Question

2005 suzuki auto tran, 4wd vitara xl7 . I know it can be towed 4 on ground with a special bracket and tow bar from my RV, I do not have time to buy and install one, before I need to leave, but I have a dolly. can I tow it with that [tow dolly] system?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You need to be sure I do not want to damage my transmissions or four wheel drive, I will try to verify your answer with a local dealer if possible just to make sure I am getting the right information
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

The only way to do this safely is to put the transfer case in neutral position ? Does your 4wd have a N setting ?

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

I see it does in the manual it should say how to shift the transfer case into neutral.

Just turn the engine on, put the car in neutral in the transmission and step on the brake pedal. Then turn the 4x4 switch to the N. It should take a couple of seconds and usually you can hear the transfer case unlocking if you pay attention. At this point even if you shift to D the car wont run as the drivetrain has been disconnected from the power train. Only do this after you have it hooked up to the dolly. Then when you arrive at your destination before releasing it from the dolly go ahead and start the engine again, put the transmission in neutral and step on the brake, shift backthe 4wd to 2wd and again you should hear this of feel a little bump..thats about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand your answer which was the same as the other websites I know what to do my question is does it affect anything else by putting the front wheels off the ground I was led to believe that with the front wheels on the ground there was some pumping action in the vehicle to help the fluids travel through the system while it was being towed with the front wheel off the ground I don't know if this affects the lubricating of the vehicle while it's being towed I also realize it needs to be stopped every few hundred miles and run for just a minute I just want to make sure that with the wheels in the front off the ground is not going to affect the other moving parts of the automobile please answer that question not just repeat what the manual says the manual does not address using a tow dolly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please either call me or see if you have found other information why there would n't be any reason that I can't put it up on a dolly if you feel that putting it on a dolly would work fine then I'm happy with that. So you feel I just need to follow the same instructions as towing it on all fours right?
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so I dont recommend using the dolly for a long ride. I mean 15 miles to a repair facility or something like that is ok and probably the intended use...long hauls will probably cause damage in the rear differential which is electronic too. I repeat I dont recommend this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyone that you could check with to see for sure one way or the other if it can be towed on a dolly I personally think it would work and it sounds logical that it will work I just would like to be sure and surely someone out there must have had some experience with this I realize you are now saying yes to it for short distances of course to relieve you of any responsibility of giving me the wrong answer but please try to find a different answer I am leaving town in a few days I have ordered the bracket but it will not be here for a week and a half I am leaving Tuesday to go up north for two weeks as I said I have a dolly I would like to have it as a tow vehicle please try to research this for me I don't mind paying what it takes to find out yes see if you can help me please
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

I will run it by the Suzuki district manager bd I will let you know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you able to check with anybody to find out whether I can tow it on a dolly theres gotta be somebody out there that can answer that I feel with your contacts you can probably answer that question I'd like to leave tomorrow , but guess I'll have to wait another day until I can find out for sure please contact me thanks
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

ok, so according to the manual it is not towable on the ground. I have spoken to some colleagues but they havent had the experience with this, sorry for the inconvenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're right back to where we started according to the manual it IS towable on the ground I have the original manual but it does say you have to do what the manual says which is the same as you said and it can be towed on the ground that's not the question, can the front wheels be towed off the ground on a dolly? It is a Suzuki 2005 four wheel drive automatic transmission Atarax Xl 7 which can be towed on the ground
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will release the question, maybe one of my peers has an answer for you.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

As long as the vehicle has 4WD, it can be towed with either all four or just the two rear wheels on the ground; simply turn the ignition switch to ACC and shift the transfer case into Neutral - the caveat being no brakes on the towed vehicle unless some contraption like a BrakeBuddy is installed. On AWD vehicles without Neutral, a driveshaft-disconnect kit is necessary.

Best Regards.