Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

Problem with starting I have change starter three times n

Customer Question

problem with starting I have change starter three times n still the same it will start two or three times n then it does not I do not know what to do any more with this problem can u help me with this problem thank u
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it could be a bad park/neutral switch on the transmission. It only allows the starter to engage in park or neutral. When it wouldnt start, did you try to start it in neutral? Sometimes that works but the switch would still need replaced.

Let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have try to start it on neutral n still the same

Ok, it can still be a faulty P/N switch though. You might try swapping the starter relay with another relay(there may even be a spare relay in the fuse block) when it acts up again and see if that corrects it. Intermittent electrical issues are never cut and dry. The relay and P/N switch are the 2 most common causes of this though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also done that i really think that is the shifter cause when we got this vehicle we had it check n they had say to us that this vehicle was going to need a shifter that is the only thing that i haven done to this vehicle

It wont be the shifter itself, BUT the shifter moves the linkage in the transmission that activates the P/N switch. I am now certain it needs replaced.

See diagram below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/pn.PNG