Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

What type of a code reader is needed Trooper 1992 (V-6)? My

Customer Question

Hello, What type of a code reader is needed for Isuzu Trooper 1992 (V-6)? My Trooper is in another country and I only use it when I go there. No shop there has the code reader needed. the check engine light comes on every time after having driven for a few miles. I also noted that one of the hoses or wires that are sitting in one row (I guess perhaps some sensors) is unplugged and just sitting dangling there. I am thinking this may be the problem. This is the one hose or line farthest to the right when looking at the engine. If I know what this may be, I may be able to buy the part here in the US and take with me. No or very few parts are available for a 1992 gasoline Troopers over there.
thank you for your help,
stef
I do not know much about cars
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not need to know about a code reader if you can tell me which sensor (if any) may be causing the check engine light.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

you do not need a code reader to read the codes on this vehicle

you can read them this way which is called flash coding

as for know which senors could be causing this issue that is a big guess as so many can turn the check engine light on and since these parts can get expensive its best to read the code or code numbers set and then you will know what area the problem is in

To access trouble codes, a jumper lead must be fitted to ALDL connector. With the ignition "OFF" connect these two leads together. Turn ignition "ON" but do not start engine. "Check Engine" light will begin to flash code 12. Code 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes. After a longer pause, code 12 will repeat two more times. This check indicates that the on-board diagnostic system is functioning. If no other codes are present, the cycle will repeat until the ignition is switched "OFF."

If trouble codes are stored in memory, the lowest number code will flash three times followed by the next higher code number until all stored codes have been displayed. The codes will then repeat in the same order until the test lead is disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do not know anything about fixing cars, can you tell me what a jumper lead is and where to find the ALDL connector?
I think I will need to translate your response, and have someone over there try to see if a code appears as I am not in the country where car is located. I apologize for my ignorance about car "jargon". I would like to diagnose the issue and buy the part here in the US and send or take over there next time I go. Thank you again.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

that connector is located under the passenger side kick panel near where the dash meets the kick panel

that connector is the actual aldl connector as this is a 1992 older vehicle

without knowing the codes set it can be anything setting the light to be on

i cant even begin to guess on what part is the problem

it may not even be a part it may be a connection or terminal issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. Thanks for you help. At least we may be able to figure out how to check the trouble codes.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had someone jump flash for trouble codes (the connector was under the dash on drivers side. there was no code just check engine light which flashed twice then pause, a couple of times, then flashed three times a couple of times. This was repeated over and over. Is this code 23? what does it mean?
thanks
stef
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the code 23 is going to be an air temp reading wrong usually caused by a bad air intake temp sensor or the connection at the sensor

called an IAT sensor also

Circuit Description
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT ) Sensor uses a thermistor to control the signal voltage to the Engine Control Module (ECM ). The ECM applies a voltage (4-6 volts) to BLU/BLK wire of the sensor. When manifold air is cold, the sensor (thermistor) resistance is high, therefore, the ECM will see a IAT signal. As the air warms, the sensor resistance becomes less and the IAT signal drops.